Gaelic Education Grants 2023/24
This scheme is currently open until 3pm on 5th September 2023.
Bòrd na Gàidhlig has set up this fund to support those currently working towards a career in Gaelic teaching or Gaelic-medium teachers looking to develop their professional skills.
Who can apply?
We will consider applications for the 2023/24 academic year from:
- Students undertaking a PGDE in Gaelic Education (both Primary and Secondary – Gaelic as a subject and subjects through the medium of Gaelic)
- Students undertaking a Gaelic early years or Gaelic childcare course
- Students undertaking a Gaelic Education Undergraduate Degree, (BA, MA Education or MA Gàidhlig with Education)
- Teachers that are employed in a role relating to Gaelic-medium education that wish to undertake a course to develop their skills or
- Qualified teachers looking to develop their skills to move into Gaelic-medium education
What support is available?
Support for course fees is available for all taking an eligible course as long as they are not eligible for SAAS support.
A core grant of £650 (or £325 for those that are on a part-time course) is available to all students on an eligible BA/MA, HNC/HND or PGDE course.
Those who have been in full-time work for over 12 months prior to starting their course are also eligible for up to £1,000 per year of employment (up to £4,000).
Those undertaking a PGDE or full-time HNC/HND are eligible for a further £500, and for the first-time an extra grant of up to £1,500 is available to those who are care-experienced.
Up to £5,000 in total is available per student over the duration of a course.
For those taking a PGDE in Gaelic Education, and that have been in work for over 36 months of the last 84, we strongly recommend applying for the Skills Development Scotland Teaching Bursary Scheme, as you could be eligible for a bursary of up to £20,000.
Closing Date for Applications
Funding applications should be submitted to Bòrd na Gàidhlig as soon as possible but no later than 3pm on Thursday 5th September 2023.
Decisions on applications will be taken in September, and will be communicated to applicants by the end of September 2023.